Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes are perfect for the summer holidays, featuring a red, white and blue theme. White cupcakes are filled with blueberry jam and topped with a strawberry frosting.
One thing I've really missed in the last year is baking for people. I used to bake something new every weekend and bring it into my coworkers. Since I can't do that anymore, I haven't been baking much.
But I could not pass up making these Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes to share with you. Filling cupcakes with jam or preserves is kind of my thing and I couldn't wait to make this batch, filled with blueberry jam.
What are summer berry filled cupcakes?
They're a vanilla cupcake filled with blueberry jam and topped with a strawberry frosting, creating a red, white and blue color theme, perfect for summer parties.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- blueberry jam
- powdered sugar
- strawberry powder
- optional: fresh strawberries or sprinkles to decorate
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Start by preheating your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Then, prepare the batter. Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer until smooth. Then add in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla. While that's mixing, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Alternate between the flour mixture and buttermilk, adding slowly to the stand mixer until the batter is formed. Divide the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each ⅔ of the way full.
- Next, bake your cupcakes. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After that, fill the cupcakes. Use a sharp knife to cut out a circle in the center of each cupcake. Add about a teaspoon of blueberry jam into each and place the cut out piece back on top.
- Then, prepare the frosting. Beat butter until smooth, then add in powdered sugar, followed by the strawberry powder, salt and milk.
- Finally, decorate the cupcakes. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with fresh strawberries or holiday sprinkles.
FAQ's and tips for baking cupcakes
- How do you make buttermilk? Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk (whole, if possible) and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- What is strawberry powder? It's ground up freeze dried strawberries. If you can't find the powder, you can grind freeze dried strawberries in a food processor.
- What is the best tip to use when piping frosting onto a cupcake? My go to is a 1M piping tip.
- How long will these summer berry cupcakes last? They'll be good 3-4 days if kept in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Can I freeze the cupcakes? Yes. They'll taste the best if you freeze the unfrosted, unfilled cupcake and decorate when you're ready to eat them. They'll last about 3 months in the freezer.
Items used for this recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Love Cupcakes? Check out my other favs!
Love all things red, white and blue? Check out the other patriotic recipes made by some of my blogging friends:
- All American Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog with Patriotic Slaw by Our Good Life
- Celebration Nachos by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic Berry Trifle by Making Miracles
- Patriotic Charcuterie by Hostess at Heart
- Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats by Family Around the Table
- Red, White, and Blue Blueberry Shortcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Red, White, and Blue Bundt Cake by House of Nash Eats
- Red, White, and Blue Marbled Layer Cake by Lemon Blossoms
- Red, White, and Blue Celebration Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Salad by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Red, White, and Blue Strawberry Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, & Blue Summer Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Summer Berry Filled Cupcakes
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 teaspoon blueberry jam
- 16 tablespoon unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon freeze dried strawberries ground
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Beat butter and sugar until smooth in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla to the stand mixer. Then mix in some of the flour mixture, followed by some of the buttermilk. Repeat until both are fully combined.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each cavity ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-16 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cupcakes sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut a cone shape out of the center of each cupcake. Fill with about a teaspoon of blueberry jamand place the cake piece back on top.
Frosting and Decorating
- Beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Then add in the strawberry powder, salt and milk. Taste the frosting to see if it needs more sugar, strawberry powder or salt.
- Transfer the frosting to a 16 inch piping bag fitted with a 1M tip.
- Start at the outside of the cupcake and pipe in a circle, overlaying the frosting to create a higher center.
- Decorate cupcakes with fresh strawberries and blueberries or with red, white and blue sprinkles.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Leave a Reply