This Braided Turkey & Red Pepper Sandwich is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or an appetizer for your next gathering. Made with deli turkey, jarred roasted red peppers, provolone cheese and canned pizza dough it comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Update: This recipe was originally posted in November 2012 as part of the Secret Recipe Club blogging event. It was completely remade, with a new recipe and photographs and republished in December 2020.
I love to cook and bake (hence, the blog) but there are definitely days where I open the fridge, stare at the ingredients and think “can’t you just cook yourselves?” While this recipe isn’t quite as easy as takeout and isn’t magical enough to cook itself, it’s a definite dinner winner.
Winner dinner? Winning dinner? Anyway…
What is a braided turkey sandwich?
This braided turkey and roasted red pepper sandwich is super easy to make! All you need is a package of pizza dough (the kind in the can), some mustard, cheese, turkey (of course!) and a jar of roasted red peppers. Oh, and a little seasonings to really make the pizza dough pop! Layer it all together, slice the edges of the dough and form a braid, bake it up and voila! An easy, but tasty and filling sandwich!
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- tube of pizza dough, thin or regular crust
- deli turkey
- jar of roasted red peppers
- slices of provolone cheese
- dijon mustard
- spicy brown mustard
- everything bagel seasoning (see note for alternatives)
- garlic powder
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 or whatever your pizza tube says. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out the dough on the paper. Use a sharp knife to cut 1 inch thick strips down both sides of the dough, lengthwise. Each strip should go about 2 inches in towards the center of the dough.
- Drain the liquid from the jar of roasted red peppers and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Mix together dijon mustard and spicy brown mustard and spread down the center of the dough. Top it with layered slices of the provolone cheese, followed by the turkey. Layer the roasted red peppers on top.
- Starting at the bottom, bring up and over a strip from each side of the dough, crossing them to look like a braid. Repeat with remaining strips on both sides until you reach the top. If there is excess dough at the top, fold it under the first braid.
- Beat the egg with a little bit of water, the brush over the dough. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning and garlic powder on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Then slice the braid into pieces and serve!
Serving Suggestions and Substitutions
- Serve with: fries, roasted potatoes, onion rings, or salad.
- Replace everything bagel seasoning with a combination of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion powder and salt.
- Turkey and cheddar, ham and swiss, roast beef and cheddar would all be great combinations if you’re not a turkey/provolone fan!
Like this? You’ll love these too:
Braided Turkey & Red Pepper Sandwich
- 13.8 oz refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 lb deli turkey sliced thin
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 oz roasted red peppers
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto the parchment paper and cut strips, 1 inch thick by 2 inches deep (towards center of dough) lengthwise down the dough.
- Drain jar of roasted red peppers and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Combine mustards together and spread down the center of the dough. Layer slices of provolone cheese on top, followed by the deli turkey. Layer roasted red peppers on top.
- Starting at the bottom, fold up and over a strip from each side, joining them in the center of the dough. Repeat with remaining strips until you reach the top. If any dough is remaining at the top, tuck it under the first braid.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg with a splash of water and brush over the dough. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning and garlic powder on top of the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or according to pizza dough directions. Braid should be golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Remove from the oven and slice into 4 pieces. Serve immediately.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.