Leftover Turkey Dumpling Soup is a great way to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers! This soup features turkey and dumplings made from stuffing!
Update: This recipe was originally shared in November 2016, but has been updated with new photos in November 2020.
The age old question: what do you make with Thanksgiving leftovers? I know I'm not the only one who struggles with this. You spent hours (or days) cooking the meal, all for everyone to gobble it down in a few minutes and now you're left with a sink full of dishes and containers of leftovers filling the fridge. So how do you repurpose those Thanksgiving leftovers? By making this soup!
What is leftover turkey dumpling soup?
This soup is a genius way to get some of those Thanksgiving leftovers out of your fridge, but is also easy enough to make without leftovers! The soup features shredded turkey breast and dumplings that have been made from stuffing. Any leftover veggies you might have, like carrots, peas or green beans can also be tossed in this soup as well!
And, this soup tastes like Thanksgiving dinner! All in one bowl!
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- shredded turkey
- prepared stuffing/dressing
- chicken stock
- veggies such as carrots, peas, onions, carrots, green beans
- seasonings like poultry seasoning, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper
🔪Instructions for this recipe
Saute the veggies: if you are using fresh (not leftover) veggies, saute them in butter and olive oil until softened.
Make the stuffing dumplings: add egg and flour to leftover stuffing and form into golf-ball sized dumplings.
Cook the soup: add the dumplings, turkey and seasonings and cook until heated through.
FAQ's and Tips
- I use fresh carrots, celery and onions. Green beans or peas, even if cooked in a creamy sauce, can be added in.
- If using leftover veggies, taste test your soup before adding additional seasonings.
- Flour and egg additions to stuffing are for homemade stuffing - you may need to adjust if using a packaged version.
- If you have extra stuffing, the dumplings can be made and frozen to be used later in soup.
Looking for more Thanksgiving leftovers?
- Turkey Cranberry Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- Thanksgiving Leftover Shepherd’s Pie
- Kentucky Hot Brown Pizza
- Thanksgiving Tacos
- Recipes Using Thanksgiving Leftovers
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Leftover Turkey Dumpling Soup
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cup turkey chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (or turkey stock)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Dumplings
- 2 cups prepared stuffing
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Add butter and olive oil to a stock pot over medium heat. Saute carrots, celery and onions for 5 minutes. Add seasonings to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing, flour and egg and mix together. Form into dumplings the size of golf balls.
- Add in stock and bring to a simmer, then add in turkey and dumplings and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.