Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes are the perfect cupcake for the bourbon lovers in your life. Bourbon is in the cupcake, the glaze and the buttercream frosting!
If you’ve been following me and reading along for a while, you know that I absolutely love bourbon and it is my preferred drink of choice. Years ago, I found a recipe for a Jack Daniels cupcake while I was searching for cupcakes using alcohol. I still have no idea why in the world I decided to search for that, but I can tell you there are a decent amount of boozy cupcakes out there. There could always be more though.
I made a variation of those Jack Daniel cupcakes and took them into work where my coworkers fell in love. Everyone was talking about the whiskey cupcakes and to this day, if you ask some of the employees what their favorite thing I’ve ever made is, they will not hesitate to say those cupcakes. So when my boss’s 40th birthday was looming, I knew what I needed to make. I actually turned it into a cake for the event.
That was about two years ago and my coworkers still ask for the alcoholic cupcakes. To be honest, I don’t really like to part with my bourbon so I had put off making them for quite some time. Until BBQ Week came around and I realized it was the perfect event to finally share these cupcakes with everyone.
Of course, my coworkers were more than pleased.
Boozy Bourbon Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix and ingredients to make it
- 2 tbsp bourbon or whiskey
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Glaze:
- ¼ cup bourbon
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix and ingredients to make it (eggs/water/oil) along with the bourbon and vanilla. Beat for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake pans, filling each no more than half way full.
- Bake according to box directions, usually 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled slightly, poke the tops of the cupcakes with a toothpick and use a pastry brush to brush bourbon over them.
- Prepare the frosting by adding all of the butter to a stand mixer and beating on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar ½ to 1 cup at a time until fully combined.
- Add in the bourbon and salt and mix until combined.
- If the frosting is too thin, add additional powdered sugar by the ½ cup until it reaches your desired consistency.
- If the frosting is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp milk or cream.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
If you are a fan of bourbon, you can’t go wrong with these cupcakes! The bourbon flavor shines through them just enough so you know that it is there but not so much that you lose the taste of the cupcake. To tell you how much they liked them, I brought 22 into work and by the end of the day one lone cupcake was left. Which was devoured by someone early the next morning.
- Balsamic Three Bean Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Berry Ice Box Cake by Back To My Southern Roots
- Boozy Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
- Caesar Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Brie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Chicken Wings with Carrot Habanero Hot Sauce and Blue Cheese by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Grilled Halloumi Over Hummus by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Steak with Guajillo Pepper Chimichurri by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Homemade Watermelon Lemonade by Daily Dish Recipes
- Lemon Dill Tortellini Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- London Broil Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Parsley Chive Butter for Steaks by Family Around the Table
- Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce by Food Above Gold
- Watermelon Mint Moscow Mule by Sweet Beginnings
- White Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm