Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes are as easy summer dessert. Lemon cake mix is used as the base for the cupcakes, which are filled with store-bought lime curd. They’re topped with a light and sweet buttercream frosting.
Disclaimer: This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek. I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but opinions are 100% my own.
I’m not even sure what started it, but filling a cupcake with jam or curd has become my go-to way of making cupcakes. There’s just something extra delicious about biting into a cupcake and being surprised with a new flavor inside!
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- box of lemon cake mix
- eggs (according to box directions)
- oil (according to box directions)
- lime curd
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- yellow and green sprinkles, if desired
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Start by preheating your oven and preparing the batter. Preheat oven to 350 and line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Next, add box mix, eggs, oil and water (or ingredients as instructed on the back of the box) to a mixer and mix until fully combined. Then, zest half of a lemon and half of a lime and mix into the batter.
- Then bake the cupcakes. Divide the batter into the prepared cupcake pans, filling each cavity ⅔ of the way full (I use a heaping ⅛ cup measuring cup) and bake for 20-23 minutes or as directed on the package. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to let cool.
- Finally, add the lime curd. Cut a circle out of the center of each cupcake, creating a cone shape. Remove the cake and fill with a teaspoon of lime curd. Place the cut out cake back on top and press down.
Frosting and Decorating Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes
My go-to frosting is a buttercream for cupcakes. I like to add a little salt into the frosting because it stops it from being overly sweet. To make the buttercream, add the butter to a stand mixer and beat until smooth. Then add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until fully combined. Add in a ¼ teaspoon of salt and splash or two of milk until the buttercream is smooth and not too thick.
I always use a Wilton 1M star tip to pipe buttercream. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large tip and then pipe onto the cupcakes. If desired, decorate the cupcakes with yellow and or green sprinkles.
Dixie Crystals has kept me stocked in sugar, of all varieties for quite some time now. They’re a sponsor of #SummerDessertWeek and graciously sent me over some powdered sugar (my stockpile was running low!) to use for the buttercream frosting of these lemon lime filled cupcakes.
FAQ’s for these cupcakes
- Do you need to use lime curd? If lime curd is hard to find in your area, you could use lemon curd in this recipe and just have it be a very lemony cupcake. You won’t use an entire container of store-bought lime curd in this recipe, so put it in the fridge after it’s open and make sure to use it within 2 weeks.
- How many cupcakes does box mix make? You should get 24 cupcakes out of a mixture of boxed cake mix batter. I use a ⅛ measuring cup and fill it until it’s just overflowing, then pour into each of the cavities in the cupcake pan. Filling ⅔ to ¾ of the way full will ensure you have enough batter and that your cupcakes don’t spill over when baking.
- Why do you add salt to buttercream frosting? The combination of butter and powdered sugar can be almost too sweet for some people, so I always add in ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of salt to balance that out. I also don’t use a ton of powdered sugar in my frosting. For every stick of butter I use, I use 1 ¼ cups of sugar.
- Can you freeze cupcakes? Yes, when I made this recipe I only needed 12 cupcakes. The remaining 12 are frozen. Once cupcakes are baked and cooled, transfer to an air-tight container and freeze. Let thaw completely before cutting to fill with curd and topping with frosting.
Some more of my favorite filled cupcakes
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie from Big Bear’s Wife
Limeade Honey Fruit Salad from Semi Homemade Recipes
No Churn Cake Batter Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Twix Cookies from Devour Dinner
Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake Cones from SugarYums
Blueberry Cobbler from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding from Sweet ReciPEAs
Roasted Blueberry Pull-apart Loaf from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes
- 15.25 oz lemon cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 6 oz lime curd
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp milk or more, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine boxed cake mix with eggs, oil and water in a stand mixer. Beat on low speed until combined. Zest half of the lemon and half of the lime and add into the batter.
- Fill each cavity of the cupcake pan ⅔ of the way full with the batter. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until cupcakes are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut a circle out of the center of each cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of lime curd. Place the cut out piece back on top.
- Beat butter in a stand mixer until smooth. Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully combined. Then add in salt and milk until it reaches a smooth and pipeable consistency.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Decorate cupcakes with yellow and green sprinkles, if desired.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Welcome to this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You’re going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We’re sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you’ll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set – Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.