Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers are a great Hawaiian flavored take on a burger!
Update: This recipe was originally shared in April 2014. The recipes and photos have been updated and republished in June 2021.
When the weather gets warm, I think about burgers on the grill. Of course, the day I chose to make these it was raining so I had to use the indoor griddle we have, but they were still delicious!
I think turkey burgers are totally underrated. Some people think they are too bland, but not when they're topped with a homemade teriyaki sauce! And a slice of grilled pineapple!
What are Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers?
Ground turkey, Panko bread crumbs and some seasonings are mixed together to form a burger. The turkey burger is grilled and then served on a bun with lettuce, tomato, a grilled pineapple slice and home teriyaki sauce.
How to make homemade teriyaki sauce
You can definitely use the store-bought teriyaki sauce for this recipe, but homemade only requires 4 ingredients for a basic sauce! Soy sauce, honey, cornstarch and water! I added in a few more ingredients to oomph it up, but it's not required.
Ingredients: ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup honey, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon (ground) ginger, 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and ½ cup water
Directions: Whisk soy sauce, honey, garlic, ground ginger, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch and water together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium, stirring until it reaches the right consistency. Then immediately remove from the heat.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- For the Burgers:
- ground turkey
- Panko bread crumbs
- green onions
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- To Serve:
- burger buns
- teriyaki sauce
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- First, prepare the burgers. Combine the ground turkey, Panko, green onions, onion powder, salt and pepper together. Form into patties, place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Next, heat up your grill. Heat the grill to medium high heat. Add the burgers and cook for 4-5 minutes on both sides or until cooked through.
- Then, add the cheese. Add cheese to each burger and while that is melting, grill the pieces of pineapple for about a minute on each side.
- Finally, assemble the burgers. Layer lettuce and tomato on the bottom of a burger bun. Add the burger, followed by the pineapple slice, teriyaki sauce, and the top part of the bun.
How to make good turkey burgers
I know some people think you can't make a good turkey burger, but that's just not true. Yes, turkey burgers can fall apart easier than ones made with ground beef, but that's an easy fix. Jus add a binder! For these burgers, I mix in Panko bread crumbs to hold them together.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Skip the bun and serve this over a salad!
- I only had American cheese on hand, but provolone or swiss would be great on this burger!
- Bacon always makes a great addition to just about any burger
- Try serving these burgers with coleslaw, fries, potato salad, cucumber salad, or fresh fruit!
Other Burger Recipes I'm Sure You'll Love
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup Panko bread crumb
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 burger buns
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices pineapple
- ½ cup lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce see notes for homemade version
- Combine ground turkey, Panko bread crumbs, onion powder, chopped green onions, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Form into 4 patties. Refrigerate until grill is hot.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat. Place burger patties on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, flipping over once.
- Add slices of cheese to the burgers and cook another minute or so, until cheese has melted. While cheese is melting, add pineapple to the grill and grill 1-2 minutes per side.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Spread the teriyaki sauce on the top and bottom of the bun.
- Layer the lettuce and tomato on the bottom part of the bun, followed by the burger.
- Add a slice of pineapple on top and the other half of the bun.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.