SRC Cookie Carnival: Boozy Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies

A few weeks ago I was reorganizing the pantry and I found a tiny bottle of Buttershots. I’m not even quite sure when or why I bought it, but I can only assume it was for a recipe since that’s what 90% of my purchases are based around. (The other 10% are clothing related, in case you were curious.) I filed away a note in the back of my mind to look for a recipe where I could use this up, especially with the holidays coming.

Then I received the email for the SRC Cookie Carnival. While many of us typically share a holiday recipe in our usual reveals, the great idea to swap blogs and make only cookie recipes was shared and lots of people were on board. As a fellow cookie addict myself, I quickly signed up.

Our assignments went out and I received The Vanderbilt Wife which is written by Jessie. I’ve had her blog before and there are lots and lots of tasty things you should try of hers and not just cookies either. She even has a gluten-free tag which is super helpful when coming off a Whole 30 without introducing gluten and starches again. Jessie also contacted me a few months back and asked if I would mind one of my recipes being shared in a magazine. Definitely not! (My smoky corn salad recipe will be in the February 2015 issue of HomeLife magazine!)

Now that I’ve rambled, I’ll get to the point where I tell you that I found a cookie recipe on Jessie’s blog called A Bit Boozy Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies and without even clicking on the link I immediately wondered if they included Buttershots. As luck would have it, they did! How awesome was that!?

Boozy Chocolate Butterscotch Cookies
Source: The Vanderbilt Wife
Servings: around 2 1/2 dozen
Printer Friendly


    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/4 tsp. salt 
    • 1 cup light brown sugar
    • 3 eggs
    • 2 tbsp. Buttershots
    • 1 tsp. vanilla
    • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • 6 tbsp. unsalted butter 

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the brown sugar, eggs, Buttershots and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 1 minute then stir. Microwave in 30 second intervals thereafter, stirring after each, until butter and chocolate combine and mixture is smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Add the flour mixture to the stand mixer and combine, then add in the slightly cooled chocolate mixture. Mix until just combined and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes to firm up.
6. After 10 minutes it should be a batter with a pudding-like consistency, not a dough.
7. Quickly scoop 1-tablespoon sized dollops of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Space at least 2 inches apart. The batter may run. (On a 17×11 baking sheet I made 12 cookies. On a 15×11, I made 8.)
8. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until crumbly on top. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to continue cooling.

The tiny amount of baking powder in this recipe means your cookies will be flat. Be careful not to overcook them and burn the bottoms. My oven had been on for a while before making these so 9 minutes was perfect not to burn the bottoms.

While they look flaky they are very moist cookies and the butterscotch flavor comes through just enough to let you know they’re not regular old chocolate cookies. Butterscotch has never been my favorite flavor by any means (butterbeer at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter aside) but it’s just the perfect amount in these cookies! 


  1. You had me at boozy!! Love buttershots and it sounds amazing!!

  2. I'm glad you liked these. I am a butterscotch fiend (oh holy cow butterbeer!!!). Thank you so much for all the sweet words about me and my blog!

  3. Yum! Looks like a great choice. I am stopping by because I had your blog for this cookie carnival. I made your Cinnamon Roll Cookies and we loved them. πŸ™‚ Thanks!

  4. haha…I haven't had that booze in years. I can taste it now!

  5. 90% of my purchases revolve around food too. πŸ™‚ Glad you found a use for your buttershots.

  6. Yummy boozy cookies!!!! Great SRC pick πŸ™‚

  7. What a great cookie~ Happy Holidays~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

  8. I've never heard of buttershots before but I bet it made a delicious cookie! Happy Holidays!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *