This Spanish dish made with chicken, sausage and shrimp takes a little while but you’ll be more than rewarded with the great flavors.
1. Combine the chicken, olive oil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper together, tossing until well coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a large shallow pan, prepare the sofrito by heating the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, then add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in the fresh parsley, paprika and crushed tomatoes and cook until all of the liquids have evaporated from the pan. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to another pan over medium heat. Cook the sausage until browned on both sides, 3-5 minutes. Remove from the pan and then add the chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is browned. Remove the chicken and add the shrimp, cooking for 1 minute on each side until just barely pink. (It will finish cooking later.)
4. Push the sofrito to the side of the pan and add the rice to the other. Cook for 1 minute, allowing the rice to become lightly toasted. Stir in the smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, turmeric, bay leaf, and lemon zest.
4. Add the sausage, chicken and bell peppers to the sofrito and rice along with 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, shaking the pan but not stirring the rice. Add more chicken stock if it cooks off too quickly. The rice should be al dente in 20 minutes.
6. Place the shrimp on top of the rice, but do not stir in. Cover with foil and increase the heat to medium for 1-2 minutes to develop the socarrat, the caramelized crust of rice on the bottom of the pan, then remove from the heat.
7. Allow the pan to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
To make this a weeknight recipe: prepare the sofrito, cook the sausage and marinate the chicken one day in advance.
Keywords: chicken, sausage, shrimp, paella, spanish dish, rice, sofrito